Yes, we get it, you want to change your TikTok username because you are no longer happy with it.
There's nothing worse than seeing your TikTok name flashed all over the place with its logo (especially if you no longer want that username). Fortunately, you are allowed to change your TikTok username.
It is important to choose the right username on TikTok also they only allow you to change your username once every 30 days.
Find out more about Tiktok usernames and step-by-step instructions on changing it.
Choosing the Right TikTok Username
As you build your brand identity on TikTok with your name, selecting the right TikTok username is crucial.
Changing the name would not always be a good idea if you are growing your followers consistently.
So how do you choose the right TikTok username?
If you go through some of the most popular TikTok profiles, you will notice some of the biggest names like Khabane Lame, and Charli D’Amelio use variations of their real name (@khabyLame and @charlidamelio).
Now, everyone won’t be comfortable with using their own name on TikTok.
If you already have a fan base on a different social media platform, it is always best to carry over the same name so that people who follow you there can find you at ease on TikTok.
You can also check out TikTok username generators to draw some inspiration.
Regardless, of what you use, it is important that you take your time to decide a name, and use it rather than go with a name that you will need to change every 30 days.
How to Change Your Username on the TikTok iPhone App
Changing the username of your TikTok account on the iPhone is pretty straightforward.
If you are new to using TikTok on an iPhone, here is a detailed step by step guide on how to change your username on the TikTok iPhone App.
- Open the TikTok App on your iPhone
- Log in to your account, if you already haven’t.
- Click on the ‘Profile’ icon.
- Now look for the ‘Edit Profile’ option and click on it.
- Head over to the username section and tap on the existing username.
- Delete the existing username and enter the new name that you want.
- If the name is available, you will see a green checkmark next to it.
- After entering the new name, tap the ‘Save’ button from the top right corner.
If the name you chose already exists, you will not be able to save the name without adding changes like numbers, extra letters, or allowed special characters.
How to Change Your Username on the TikTok Android App
Changing your username on TikTok Android is more or less the same as what you would do on an iOS device. If you are unsure about how to change your username on TikTok Android App, here’s how:
- Launch the TikTok app and log into your account.
- Now look for the ‘Me’ option towards the bottom right corner of the screen.
- You will be redirected to a ‘Profile Screen’.
- From there click on ‘Edit Profile’ and tap on ‘Username’.
- Delete and replace the old username with your new name.
- If the new username is available, you will see a green checkmark next to it.
- Tap the ‘Save’ button to have your changes reflected.
How to Change TikTok Username Without Waiting 30 Days
You are required to wait for at least 30 days to change your username on TikTok.
However, there is a walk through that allows you to change your TikTok username without waiting for 30 days. What’s even interesting is that it’s not really complicated as you would think.
Follow these steps to change the TikTok username without having to wait for 30 days.
- Unlock your mobile device and head over to “Settings.”
- Now tap the “General” option and click on “Date and Time”.
- Click on disable “Automatically Adjust” (or the subsequent option) on your phone.
- Set a date that is at least 30 days or more ahead of the current date.
- Open the TikTok app, and log in to your account.
- Now change the username like you always do.
This is the only option you have to change your TikTok username without waiting for 30 days.
FAQs about changing your TikTok username
Why can’t I change my TikTok username?
There are a few restrictions that could prevent a TikTok user from changing their username. One of the primary reasons could be that you are trying to change your TikTok name frequently. TikTok only allows users to change their username once every 30 days. The TikTok username you want might already be in use and TikTok requires users to have unique names. No two profiles can have the same name on TikTok.
What are the new TikTok username requirements?
Even though TikTok allows you to change your username, there are still some guidelines that you need to follow. Usernames on TikTok can only contain letters, numbers, underscores, and periods. Usernames can also only be updated once every 30 days. It should also be noted that changing a username will also change the URL associated with the TikTok profile.